Monday 2 February 2015

Beautiful Stories- Part One

I started off as a part time waitress at an old Los Angeles resturant. Even when I was in that career I wanted to quit. I wanted to quit and persue a life long dream of mine - becoming an author.
My mother was never supportive of my dreams. She always used to tell me that dreams could never be reality.
She was wrong.
I quit my job as a waitress and saved up enough money to move to London. Not London in Ontario. The real deal.
The London with the Big Ben. The London where I believed I could make my dream of making books... real.
When I first moved to London I was broke. Now, I wasn't so broke that I couldn't even afford to eat. I just couldn't afford a house and I had been living in a motel for 2 months. 3 months, tops.
I had a low paying job as a receptionist at a dentist and when I say low paying, I mean low paying.
After work I always went to the library and wrote short stories, only a few pages long.
I wrote stories that reflected on my personal life and before I moved to London. I kept my so-called talent to myself, but then a miracle happened.
It was a cold November day and I was doing my usual routine after my dumb job.
McDonalds coffee, bus, and then the library.
The library. I still am amazed that this happened at a library.
So I walked into that library. I saw the same ordinary walls of books and the dusty oak wood desk with the old librarian, Lucy, behind it.
"Good afternoon," said Lucy in her up-beat British accent.
I nodded and made my way over to the computers. The library had old HP computers that didn't work that well, but I could still write my stories.
I sat down at the same computer I always do, number 7, and opened up Microsoft Word.
When I go to the library I usually have some type of idea, and luckily I had one that day.
My idea is to write about my mother.
Mother had a low temper and when her temper ran out, to the bar she went.
I stayed home most of the time with my father, but when he passed away I had to support myself when she was away drinking.
Anyway, I started writing about my experience and then a middle-age woman sat down next to me.
"Pretty impressive," she said.
I looked at her and I swear I almost lost my breath.
Right beside me was the world famous author, Drey Matthews.
"You're Drey- Drey Matthews!" I exclaimed.
Drey Matthews was famous for her award winning novel, Nightime Fantasies.
"Oh, please. You shouldn't," Drey said. She smiled after that and her smile was beautiful.
Okay, that's sort of awkward saying that I'm a girl.
"You have no idea how much I love your work!" I said. "'Nighttime Fantasies' and 'Colourless Plains' were two absolutely genius novels! Sorry but-"
"You should not be complimenting me on my work... did I get your name?" Says Drey.
"Oh, um, Tess Arthur," I said.
"Well, then as I was saying, I should be complimenting you, Ms.Tess." Starts Drey. "This is a story that will touch the hearts of many woman and men. Possibly young adults. Please, if I don't sound too demanding, print off a copy so I can show my editor and publisher. Don't even try denying this because you, my dear, have true talent."
I was speechless. Drey Matthews asking for my story. Unbelievable.
I ran to the printer and grabbed a copy. I handed it to Drey and for the first time in forver I smiled.
That was when it began. That one beautiful moment soon turned into torture. Not just for me.
The whole human race.

By: Chloe

4 comments: