Wednesday 4 February 2015

Beautiful Stories- Part 4

Today is the day my book hits the stores. Usually when an authors book gets published, they can hardly express how happy they are.
On the inside I feel like I could explode into a million pieces, but on the outside I'm worried. Worried that my mother will find me. Worried that 5 million copies won't be sold. And worried about what will come after this is published.
"Hello? Earth to Tess," says Drey.
I look up and realize that I zoned out for a few minutes. 
"Oh, um, sorry. I guess I'm just nervous," I say. 
Drey gives me a polite and ensuring smile. 
"Any who, I was thinking that when your book hits stores, we should have a book signing somewhere. What do you think?" Drey says. 
I think about this, pull my office chair closer to my desk, and respond to her.
"Um, sure. I've never done a book signing before, so I don't see why not." 
Drey smiles again and walks towards my door. 
"Well, why don't we have on tomorrow? Day after the big reveal. It will be all over the news!" Says Drey.
I look at her with my head tilted a bit to the side.
"And I thought I needed more sleep," I say under my breath.
"No, I'm serious!" She exclaims. "So many people will show up! Why don't I call up that library where I met you? Come on, what do you say?" 
"Okay. But if my mother shows up, the whole event is shut down," I say.
"Your wish is my command," she says as she exits the room. 
All of the sudden the phone rings. 
I walk over to it and pick up the handle. 
"Hello?" I say.
No one replies.
"Hello?" I repeat. 
Still no reply.
"If this is one of you teenagers trying to pull something, I suggest-" 
"Careful, missy," a raspy voice says. "This book is not what it seems. Ever wonder why the idea came so fast? Have you ever wondered where it came from?" 
"No. It's just a stupid book. Stop criticizing me," I say.
"It has happened. Your book is based on real life events. Be careful. Think wisely." And with that the phone on the other line died.
I slam down the receiver and go back to my desk.
"I was just a prank call," I say.
I try to convince myself that it was just someone trying to pull something. Like I said, I tried to convince myself.
I have no idea why, but I got bad vibes during that call.
Well, now I can sleep on it.

I drive home and look at my phone. The time is 10:43 pm. 
I unlock door, take off my shoes, and head into the washroom. 
I drop my bag and jacket at the bathroom door, and go in to take a shower. The hot water helps me calm myself and forget about what happened today.
I get out of the shower and get into my Victoria Secret pyjamas. I hop into bed and lay there until I fall asleep. 
Tonight I dream about my book. But instead of taking place in a futuristic world, it takes place present day. 
I wake up the next morning to a dark sky and messy hair. I get ready for the day and walk out side. Even though it may be dark, the air is sweet and warm. I get into my car and start driving to work. 
This is the reason I love living in the sub-urbs. You get to enjoy nature at its best. Ever since I was little I loved being outdoors.
I continue driving and I'm about 5 minutes outside of the city when I see it. Nine huge, reptilian birds with red glowing eyes circle the city. 
"They're too big to be birds," I say to myself. 
I continue driving, then slam on the brakes, realizing what I just saw.
Those creatures in the sky are real. 
They're from my book. 

By: Chloe

2 comments:

  1. Cliffhanger!!! I love it. This is really good! I can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hana thanks Keira. I'm going to try and post two more parts tomorrow

      Delete